Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Place Of The Year

9/11 Memorial
New York City
New York

I chose the September 11, 2001 memorial for my "Place of the Year".  This memorial was built in the footprints of the World Trade Center towers and includes the names of all those who perished at that site.  The memorial shows that even after death and horrible tragedy life goes on.  This area was a pile of rubble and despair 10 years ago and now is a symbol of the American spirit.  The area not only provides peace to  the families and loved ones of the victims but to the American public as a whole.  It is important to remember this day and the vulnerability and resilience of the American people.   The above photo was taken by me while in New York City July 2011.  When I visited the site, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness.  Then I was overcome by a sense of  pride in being an American watching something beautiful being built out of the ashes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment